Sheryl’s academic journey began at the University of Manchester in year 2002, where she successfully completed her degree. Eager to pursue a career in law, she further honed her skills by undertaking the Bar Vocational Course at Multimedia Manchester University, which paved the way for her calling to the English Bar as a Barrister in year 2006.
Her professional journey commenced at one of the largest law firm in Malaysia & Singapore, Shook Lin & Bok , where she immersed herself in a diverse array of legal realms, including banking, corporate affairs, and real estate transactions. This multifaceted experience encompassed substantial real estate sales, property-related financing, and more.
Subsequently, Sheryl embarked on an international journey, relocating to Singapore, where she joined one of the leading law firm in Singapore, Drew & Napier LLC as a foreign lawyer. In her pursuit of legal excellence, she successfully navigated the challenging Singapore Bar Examination, achieving admission to the Singapore Bar in year 2010. Her focus in Singapore shifted towards corporate mergers and acquisitions, encompassing general corporate matters and commercial transactions, wherein she provided invaluable guidance to both local and international clients.
Building on her rich experience, Sheryl transitioned to an in-house role as a senior legal counsel with UIC Limited, a publicly listed real estate developer in Singapore. Within this capacity, she tackled a diverse range of legal responsibilities, including property development, investment strategies, compliance with Singapore Stock Exchange regulations, corporate secretarial duties, and tenancy transactions spanning Singapore and China.
Collectively, Sheryl boasts an impressive tenure of over 15 years in the fields of conveyancing, corporate law, and banking, consistently demonstrating her dedication to legal excellence and her ability to navigate complex legal landscapes.
Singapore Transactions handled by Sheryl previously:
- Acted for a Japanese multinational company in a bidding process relating to a proposed acquisition of a group of manufacturing companies in countries comprising Malaysia, Thailand, China and Vietnam – conducted and coordinated due diligence review on the target group, liaised with the local counsel on the relevant legal and regulatory issues, and drafted and/or reviewed the relevant transaction and legal documentation (including letter of offer, sale and purchase agreement and disclosure letter)
- Acted as transaction solicitor in respect of a joint venture in Singapore to operate a branded coffeehouse chain, and the joint venture is entitled to market the franchise South-east Asia – drafted the relevant contractual documentation (including the joint venture agreements and franchise agreements)- drafted the relevant contractual documentation (including the joint venture agreements and franchise agreements)
- Acted for a Singapore-based developer of a travel decentralized application (DApp) in respect of an area partner agreement granting a China-based distributor the right to promote and market the DApp within the agreed territories in China
- Acted as the vendors’ counsel in respect of a S$44 million acquisition of a Singapore company in the marine and offshore industries with operations in Singapore, Indonesia and PRC.
Malaysia transactions handled by Sheryl previously:
- Acted as the panel solicitors of several notable Public Listed property developers in Malaysia, including particularly the Berjaya Group (Bursa Malaysia-listed conglomerate), the Tropicana Group (Top 10 Malaysia Property Developer), the HCK Group (which is branded as education-property developer) and Naza TTDI (an award-winning property developer), in their development projects, both residential and commercial, as well as their various corporate and real estate transactions, including land acquisitions and disposals, and acting as the panel solicitors of the major financial institutions in the financing transactions for the development projects. Handled & completed more than 10,000 units of residential and commercial properties priced ranging from RM300,000 to RM5,000,000.
- Advised telecommunications companies in Malaysia, including U Mobile Sdn Bhd and RedOne, in their corporate matters
- Acted for Bursa Malaysia-listed Berjaya Corporation Berhad, in a disposal to Ramatex Berhad of (i) its indirect wholly-owned subsidiaries, Berjaya Bandartex Sdn Bhd and Berjaya Knitex Sdn Bhd, which are engaged in the business of manufacturing and marketing garments, to Ramatex Berhad for a total cash consideration of RM27.74 million; and (ii) a parcel of freehold land together with a 2-storey industrial building in Batu Pahat, Johor for a cash consideration of RM2.26 million – drafted the relevant transaction documentation (including the share sale agreements and the sale and purchase agreement)
English (fluent), Mandarin (fluent)